We are currently looking at planting some hedgerows in various areas for a number of reasons. The areas we have looked at include Rotary Way in Pity Me and Finchale Road in Framwellgate Moor.
We would appreciate your comments on these proposals and any other areas you feel would benefit from hedging.
Areas being looked at
1. Rotary Way (Arnison Centre bypass), Pity Me – Two areas, one on the left as you travel from the A167 roundabout, the second on the right to fill in the gap near the Mc Donalds carpark
2. A small area near the Arnison underpass.
3. Extend the hedge running from Bek Road traffic lights up Finchale Road on the left hand side.
4. Possibly plant behind the metal fence farther up Finchale Road on the school side opposite Caterhouse entrance with a view to removing the old metal fencing.
5. We are also looking at whether hedging could be moved, improved or removed on the path behind Hudspeth, to make the area less likely to get overgrown
The reasons for the planting program include:
Helping to fill in gaps in existing hedging
Protecting areas from illegal camping and parking
Helping to cut noise and air pollution from traffic
Creating proper screening on the edge of the built up area
Reinstating areas which used to have hedges
Promoting wildlife and making the area look better